Christmas treats - Karen Bush

Coming up to Christmas I have a couple of books that I return to year after year. Like mince pies, mulled wine, and those seasonal TV repeats of Its A Wonderful Life, The Grinch, A Muppet Christmas Carol, and White Christmas, I am irresistibly drawn back to them ... No matter that I know them inside out, I still enjoy them just as much as the first time round. And if you are going to re-visit them, the run-up to Christmas is of course, the perfect time ...

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - although I prefer listening to this one as an audiobook, and it makes a nice change from carols. And sometimes our local open air museum presents a wonderful reading by Mr Dickens himself ...

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - a time travel piece set around Christmas and involving the Black Death ... sounds grim, but it's gripping stuff.

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper - my favourite of Cooper's books, as well as the first one of hers I ever read. Captures perfectly for me those noisy, bustling family Christmases of my youth - plus it's a fabulous story!

And as a follow-up - as for some inexplicable reason it is never repeated - I watch a DVD of The Box of Delights: a much loved childhood book, and I fell in love with this series when it first aired on the BBC.

So what are your Christmas treats?



 
Written by us.
Its good stuff!
Click here ...




(And here's one you might like to add to your Christmas reading lists ...)

Comments

misha said…
The Box of Delights is my favourite too.
Umberto Tosi said…
Nice list for that Christmas stocking, and reading through the wintery nights. Happy holidays, to you Karen. :)
Gabroo said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris